Alverstoke Mounting Blocks

1863 map with two boulders

1863 map with two boulders

It has been suggested that the ancient stone still to be found close to Stokehurst Old Rectory in Little Anglesey Road Alverstoke may have been a mounting block. The explanation offered is that young men could leap into the saddle of their horse with ease but older riders would require a nearby stone to assist them in climbing on to their horses.

Alverstoke map of 1880

Alverstoke map of 1880 with two boulders shown

There is no doubt that the stone still to be seen by the side of the road in front of the Rectory has been there since Victorian times. But was it a mounting block? A short  article published in Gosport Records in May 1972, author unknown, seems to think that it was:
Not surprisingly one often finds mounting blocks near a church and one of these still remains in Alverstoke alongside the wall of the old rectory in Little Anglesey Road. This was a favourite spot to tether horses during the church service and at one time there were three or four mounting blocks in this little lane. Only one remains so let us take care that it too does not disappear, or be taken away for road widening by some ‘progressive’ planner.

When the second one, shown on plans, disappeared is not known.

 

Map 1890

Map 1890 Two boulders are shown.

 

Mounting block Little Anglesey Road

Mounting block

Mounting block Little Anglesey Road

Mounting block

Mounting block

Mounting block