Military Boundary Stones

Marking Military Land in Gosport
All over Gosport can be found stone and concrete marker stones that denote the boundaries of land previously owned by the War Department and the Admiralty. Each stone was numbered and bore a War Department Broad Arrow (or the letters WD) to show the land belonged to the War Department or an Admiralty anchor (or the letters AD) if it was an Admiralty stone. On earlier maps they are marked as ADM. with an anchor above whilst on later ones (as below) they are marked as AD with an arrow between.

OS1897-98 with stones marked ADM

OS1897-98 with stones marked ADM and an anchor above.

Boundary Stones (marked as A.D. with a broad arrow between) surrounding St. Vincent on a map of 1910

Boundary Stones (marked as AD with a broad arrow between) surrounding St. Vincent on a map of 1910


Here are a few that have survived around the Forton Barracks site which later became Admiralty land when the barracks was occupied by H.M.S. St. Vincent:

 

Other Boundary markers can found elsewhere in Gosport on former and current military land. Air Ministry land surrounding Grange Airfield (RAF Grange) was marked with stones on which the letters AM can be found.